June 15, 2010

Harvest Gold Freezer Goes White.

We inherited this little beauty for *free* approximately 8 months ago. We hauled it all the way to our little garage only to plug it in and find out that the plug in garage was not strong enough to power our ancient new (oxymoron?) freezer. 


This is from JC Penney, people. Do they even sell appliances anymore? It also reminds me of the harvest gold kitchen in the house I grew up in - and the avocado green one at my Nana's house. Classic 70's.

When we bought our new house, we had a place for this gem in the laundry/mud room. With a door that opened right to the kitchen. Harvest gold works for the garage, but not for my kitchen, so I went to The Home Depot for a solution.

Solution: Rust-oleum Appliance Epoxy in a spray paint can. Success!


With a few other items in my cart...I went home with a plan.


Step 1: start sanding. I grabbed fine sandpaper on a block - just to knock off the sheen and give the paint something to adhere to.

Step 2: wipe off the grit that the sanding left behind with a wet cloth or wipes- get it good. Let dry.

Step 3: use a tack cloth to get the stuff you thought you got - it will be much more than you think.

Step 4: Tape. Tape off everything that you don't want painted...this stuff gets everywhere. Since I did this in our garage - I moved the cars down the street (taking no chances with 2 black cars) and put drop cloth on everything. Everything - this stuff goes everywhere.


Step 5: Start painting! Your first coat will look awful. It's ok. Just aim straight, 10 inches from the surface and use even, sweeping motions across the surface.


Step 6: continue layering until it looks covered. It took me 4 cans and a couple of days to completely cover the gold shining through. And wah-lah...a new freezer in our new house in our new laundry/mud room.

I am thrilled with the result! Now we just need a trip to Costco to fill it up with frozen goodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment